Friday, October 17, 2008

Wallpaper


I'm not a big fan of wallpaper.

And I ain't talking about the glorified wrapping paper that is currently stuck on the wall of your half bath, or the decoupage you shlacked all over your hope chest, or even the OK Go music video.

I'm talking about that thing that has been sitting in that place for so long that you don't even see it anymore.

It blends in.

It has become wallpaper.
Tell me about that table.

We got a few years ago as a wedding gift.


Do you use it?


No.

Do you like it?


Not really.

Then, why do you have it?


I really don't know.
Incredible.

Jump back, David Blane and move over, Chris Angel! Forget the illusionist approach to disappearing; just try standing in one place for a month or so and abracadabra you're gone!

It's a phenomenon worthy of an episode of Unsolved Mysteries. When something sits in one place for too long, people simply don't see it anymore. It essentially disappears.

It happens very subtly.

It's raining, so you take your umbrella out of your car and make the mad dash to your front porch. It's wet, so you leave it outside to dry...

You need to call Oriental Trading Company because the rock bouncy balls they sent to you just aren't up to their usual levels of stone-like resemblance. You write it on a Post-It note and stick it on your computer monitor...

You are given a coupon for a free cookie from Sugar Mama's. You put it in your wallet...

A week passes, a month, maybe even a year.

And voila! They are all still there. But you can't see them. They have faded into the landscape.

It has become wallpaper.

Take a moment look at your surroundings with a fresh set of eyes. Linger on each thing. Ask yourself these questions:

What is it?

Do I use it?

Do I like it?

Does it belong here? If not, where is it's "home?"

Ready. Set. OK Go!

1 comment:

seejenngo said...

Brilliant. I think this applies to how I do things, too. "What? I'm wasting time or being inefficient? I didn't notice." Wallpaper.