Monday, September 29, 2008

Sweet potato in your purse



Nearly every day when I get home, I dump my purse out on the kitchen table. Whatever doesn't belong there is given a new "home" somewhere else.

Part of my job is to help people find "homes" for items that don't have anywhere to "live." That means that replica of The World's Largest Frying pan that you got the last time you visited Rose Hill, NC has gotta go somewhere, be it stored in a box of souvenirs, thrown in the garbagio, given to a thrift store, or displayed in all its glory your mantle.

But I digress. Back to my purse.

Typically when I clean out my bag, I'll find the odd receipt, pen, or random Post-It lurking in the depths. But, the other day when I emptied its contents out on the table, out rolled a sweet potato.

That's right, ladies and gentlemen, I confess: Your professional organizer had put a starchy edible tuber in her pocketbook. On purpose.

Here's the truth:

You're never going to have it all together. There will always be something to put away, throw away, give away. You will always have a junk drawer.

And it's okay.

And if you DO have it all together, you're a nerd and you need to get a friend or a hobby, cause you've got WAY to much free time on your hands.

The point of creating systems of organization for yourself is not so they can boss you around and make you live in a state of constantly striving for organizational perfection.

That's called a cult.

The point of being organized is to reap both the peace that comes from knowing where your car keys are and the time to spend doing the things that are really important with the people who are the most important to you.

The point is to do your creative best in the wondrous realm of organization, and still be cool if a sweet potato takes up temporary residency in your hand bag.

"A place for everything and everything in its place?" Ha! It's never gonna happen, even for an anal retentive professional like myself, so give up the dream, sugar!

And, if you are seeking closure on what home you should give to your replica of the World's Largest Frying Pan, mine is stored in my hope chest.

2 comments:

greg varney said...

yeah, and your purse is small. who knows what kind of edible plantlife exists in those duffle-bag-sized purses that the other girls tote around!

njw said...

Well being a girl who carries duffel bag sized purses I'll tell you what you could find:
*A travel sized bag of oatmeal
*about a yard and 1/2 of satin ribbon
* 20 tubes of lipstick
* 4 of those blue towels you get at the gas station to wipe off your window (clean of course)
* A letter I still haven't sent to Tali, thanking her for my birthday...in July
*2-3 pairs of sunglasses
* the tiniest tube of toothpaste you have ever seen (like an inch long)
* bobby pins, matches, pens,gum wrappers and a jump drive loosely rolling around
and lastly
* a bag of costume jewelry
(I cleaned my purse out yesterday!)

I don't have any plant life today, but I can assure you my bag has seen it's fair share of the earth's bounty!

My dream is to one day win a random contest for the strangest thing in one's purse!